Monday, July 25, 2011

Classroom Management: BLURTS!

Now, don't we all struggle with the blurting out in class?! Two summers ago I went to a training at ACU, and one of the teachers there showed us how to make these wonderful little behavior modification tools to help with blurts, and it has sure helped me out!

I hate to embarrass the kids, so I keep this pretty light. Every time a student blurts out, they have to put a "blurt" on this chart. They have three chances. I usually go by a three-strikes-you're-out policy before I sign their folder and take away some recess time.



All it takes is poster board, velcro dots and whatever image you want to use for the "blurt" that they put on the chart. (I used an image from Boardmaker.)

Make a spot for each child's blurts and attach three of the velcro dots...



Each little blurt needs its own velcro dot, so that they can grab one out of the bag and attach.



At the end of the day, I make note of who had no blurts that day. I usually do an extra prize for any student who goes the entire week with no blurting out! I've also found that if I am really consistent with this during the first 6-8 weeks of school, then I hardly use it after that. This tool has really helped my students manage their own behavior when it comes to blurts!

16 comments:

  1. I love this idea! It sounds like it would do wonders for those select few kids who can never seem to remember to raise their hands. Sounds like it'd save a little of my sanity, too. And, for that, I'm always game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Casey,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and following:) I am now a follower of your cute blog!! I need to post about the last few chapters of Book Whisperer but have been flooded with work and trying to get my daughter ready for college:) If you haven't already, you also need to read CAFE and Daily 5. I wish I had ordered them earlier in the summer as mine summer vaca is over in days....they are awesome books as well and I will be putting all that into my classroom this year too:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. @southerngraduate, this chart really does help train the students to be good hand-raisers, and I love that!

    @Tara, I can't wait to see what you write about the last few chapters! I know the month of August can be really crazy, plus you're moving your daughter to college! WOW! I have been using Daily 5 in my class for the last 2 years, but I just started doing CAFE last year. I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW what a great idea!! I'm thinking about using this with my kinder kiddos :) Thanks for sharing!
    Would you mind if I mentioned you and this idea on my blog?
    I am at KinderTastic

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Judy, thank you for the comment! Of course you can blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Just did --
    http://kindertastic.blogspot.com/2011/07/blurts.html
    Also, you should add your blog to the grade level linky party here:
    http://theteacherslane.blogspot.com/p/grade-level-linky-party_28.html
    Not many fifth grade bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Judy thanks for telling me about that, I joined the Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been using it in my Kindergarten classroom and have also been using it for rule breaking as well. Each day so far, the students who have less than 3 blurts, etc. will get some kind of random treat (they don't know what it will be!) and I am going to start tracking weekly blurts soon. An EA commented that it has made a difference in my classroom. I will probably switch to getting stickers daily and a prize weekly for no blurts as the year goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! I think I'm going to try it so maybe my 2-3 "blurters" will remember not to do it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea...I want to try it with my music classes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use something similar in my library class - only 30 minutes a week so the kids are usually excited to tell me what's been going on in their class. We have three sticky notes and I take one down for "blurts". The goal is as a class keeping all three stickies. As Casey pointed out, after the first quarter there are very few times that students lose a sticky note.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post! carry a stylish handbag with cool color
    cardigans to stay warm during winter season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what an amazing article! I am truly grateful to you; I thoroughly enjoyed delving into this topic. If you're interested in exploring similar content, I invite you to visit this https://proteiousgreen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was searching some blogs on google and I read your blog, I really liked reading your blog
    Please click for this website https://vallabhienterprises

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete