Friday, September 16, 2011

Idioms can be a Piece of Cake!!

I have really missed blogging lately!! Adjusting to fifth grade has been pretty crazy, but I feel like I am finally getting in the swing of things.

I wanted to share some material I used to teach idioms. English is FULL of idioms and they can be confusing for ELLs to understand. So last week, we learned and practiced idioms! They are a wonderful language arts skill to teach students, and it also helps their reading comprehension. I have been amazed at how many of my students have brought their books to me to show me an idiom they found in their own reading. Love it!!

Idiom Site has a great list with definitions, so it was hard for me to decide which ones to focus on, but I narrowed it down to the ones you see below. We had so much fun making flipbooks with visuals and meanings of various idioms! We also read these wonderful books...





These books are great for discussing idioms and figures of speech, and kids love the pictures!!

We also used this sorting activity..It is simple, but it was good practice. (The individual boxes didn't show up when I uploaded this for some reason, but it wouldn't matter once you cut it out.)

Idioms


By the end of the week, we were working on using idioms in our writing. We are currently adding more to our Idiom anchor chart, so I will have to snap a picture of it next week! Happy Friday!

4 comments:

  1. Love those books....will be having to get those. My language/speech kiddos struggle with it too...so those books will come in handy. I also have 3 ELL. P.S. I am too excited...going to see my baby at college tomorrow:)))))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo! I nominated you for "The Versatile Blogger" award! Go back to my blog: messyjofu.blogspot.com for more info!! Thanks for being awesome!

    http://messyjofu.blogspot.com/2011/09/blogging-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Casey,
    Thanks for stopping by....I have to have the clothes line cuz I have no wall space!! I do like it though...the kids look at it all the time. Not super sure the fire marshall will go for it when he comes through rooms:(( Heading back to Tay's college again this weekend! They won last weekend and it put them in first in their conference:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know this post is from a long time ago, but another fantastic idiom book is 'you are what you eat and other mealtime hazards' it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete