Sunday, November 6, 2011

Anchors Away

I'm linking up with Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes Reading/Language Arts anchor chart link party. Here are a few that I have posted before and some new ones!

Read to Self anchor chart...kinda a reading and management anchor chart...



I know I have posted on this before, but seriously y'all, Tanny McGregor's book is amazing!! No matter what elementary grade you are in, it has the most amazing lessons on how to teach skills such as questioning, inferring, determining importance, metacognition, etc etc etc. Like, run, don't walk and buy this book. She includes pictures of anchor charts to go with the lessons, so the next few pictures shows my anchor charts inspired from her book:

Comprehension Connections



Metacognition



Connecting to Text



Thinking Stems for Inferring...(Her inferring lessons are some of my absolute favorites!)



We worked on "Determining Importance" from Comprehension Connections as well!



Then we applied our "determining importance" skills to portions of non-fiction text that went with our social studies unit, events leading up to the Revolutionary War..



This one is not from Comprehension Connections, just one I made to help us as we discuss author's point of view. I typed the words before we put it together because it is just SO much writing. This can be a tough concept so having the chart up reminds me to talk about it through most of our stories.



We are still adding to this anchor chart as we learn more about figurative language...



(Not really an anchor chart, but here is where we have been collecting examples of figurative language from our own reading.)



Nothing fancy here, but my kids and I are remembering to discuss so many concepts thanks to these little charts! Thanks to Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes for the great linky party idea!

7 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo, thanks for linking up!!! Love your charts. The correct and incorrect model chart is my fave--GREAT reference tool for your kids.

    Thanks for participating!!!
    Janaye
    frogsandcupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your determining importance connection to Social Studies ... your connections between SS and Literacy always amaze me! Tell me that this was from last year ... you can't possibly be at the Revolution in History Alive yet are you??!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Casey!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    More importantly: I love all of your charts, but I REALLY liked that you have had your kids finding figurative language in their texts! I've never done that before--and I am trying it tomorrow! Loved that you used a file cabinet to display them too! So crafty!
    I'm also checking back into Tanny McGregor's book. Thanks for the reminder.

    Happy day!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your charts! Good to see another blog that linked to the anchor chart linky party!

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mrs. B, We did the Williamsburg Lesson all in a day, because we did the center activity and it was long! But we got it knocked out! We also did the Slavery Lessons in one day, so that helped us catch up to speed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I especially liked the Social Studies one - so effective. I'll have to link up to share some of mine and see what others have to share as well.. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice and informative post is written in a good manner. Thanks.

    99CarRentals

    ReplyDelete