Saturday, December 31, 2011

Winter Break Reads and a Link-Up

I read and re-read a few professional books over the break that I thought I would share!

Making your Teaching Stick is a great little book, and its a quick read. It discusses how we often feel: that they are getting it for a bit but it doesn't really stick for a long time...



Lori Oczkus has written a few great books, and this one did not disappoint. I had read parts of it two years ago, but really read it this time. It has so many good ideas that fuse reading and writing together, as it should be. Reading like writers and writing like readers.



I only read the "Building a Reading Life" book. Lucy Calkin's book gives detailed descriptions of lessons that develop readers. She basically gives her script, but encourages you to put in your own words. I really loved her ideas, but I probably won't do too much with it until next year.


Also, I am linking up to Secondary Solution's Upper Grade Linky Party

Secondary Solutions


Check out some of the amazing upper-grade blogs!

10 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhh...you make me feel guilty..I am reading The Help and still haven't finished it. No professional development reading here over Christmas break....I needed a mental break:/
    Happy New Year's Eve:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy! I really need to get back into the habit of reading. I always find an excuse not to. I am glad you had such a productive break!

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up on the Secondary Solutions New Year's Linky Party! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I came across your blog recently, and I wanted to pass along the Versatile Blogger Award!

    Come over to my blog (Life in Middle School) and this post Blogging Award! to accept your award!

    ~Lauren from LIMS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the name of your blog...A.Maze. Ing. I am definitely a new follower!
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casey I just gave you the Versatile Award. Come over to my blog and grab it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog name is too cute and so creative. I nominated you for an award, check it out on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! I have given you the Liebster Blog award!

    FirstGradeFriends

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been awarded the versatile blogger award! go to my blog and check it out! emilysfirstgradefrenzy.blogspot.com Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the blog commenting this really helped to improve

    other

    ReplyDelete